Kindly fill brief but comprehensive info for sharing on the UCA website
Name of project
SUPPORT TO FARMERS’ ORGANISATION IN AFRICA PROGRAMME (SFOAP)
European Union (EU) and International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Swiss Agency for Development Cooperation (SDC), French Development Agency (AFD)
2013 - 2017
Project area (In the format: Region, Districts, Sub-counties)
Northern region Nebbi District: Panyimur, Wadelai, Erusi, Nyaravur, Atego and Panyango Sub-county. Zombo District: Kango & Zeu Sub-county. Apac District: Chegere sub-County Kole District: Akoloda sub-couty
• To strengthen FOs Institutional and organisation capacities.
• To enable FOs influence policies and priority subjects at all levels.
• To improve FOs entrepreneurial capacities and participation in value chain.
• To improve overall efficiency and effectiveness in the implementation of the programme.
• UCA has supported establishment of 45 cassava demonstration plots in the four districts (Apac, Kole, Nebbi & Zombo) Demonstration sites were surveyed by the Agronomists, site preparation made and then planted with high yielding varieties: NASE 14, NASE 19 and NARO CASE 1. At least two varieties were planted in each demonstration plot.
• Through project support, farmers have had several trainings including: These trainings are ongoing they include:-
** Agronomic practices
** Post-harvest handling and marketing
** Business planning, management
** Financial literacy
** Governance and management
** Business skills and negotiations
• Enactment of cassava ordinance: During the baseline and the subsequent trainings, it was discovered that cassava value chain is faced with numerous challenges including bad farming practices, poor post-harvest handling and cassava gardens destruction by stray animals among other challenges. It was on this basis that implementing ACEs together with the leaders requested to enact a law. The law is in the final stages at district council level.
• Increased membership both in RPOs and individual farmers: RPOs have increased from 23 to 32 with current membership of individual farmers standing at 6,725.
• Through SFOAP project, market linkages have been created and the ACEs are linked to big buyers. These big buyers process and sell in both the local and export market. However, Nora Agro buys 15 MT of cassava chips to process it into 4,000 Ltrs. of ethanol per day. Nora Agrocatalist has recently signed MOUs with 2 ACEs (Nebbi & Panyimur Dei ACE) and is ready to buy up to 900 metric tons of cassava chips per month and 30,000 bags of cassava cuttings per year
• Demo farmers have benefited from seed multiplication
• Increased market linkages to buyers / Processors and volume of cassava bulked.
Number f contract buyers increased from 5 in 2013 to 13 in 2016, volume of cassava bulked increased from 345 tons in 2013 to 1085 tons in 2016 and the income shs 241.5 million to shs 866 million in 2016.
• Through training in resource mobilization and business linkages, two ACEs: Wadelai and Panyimur-Dei ACEs developed proposals with UCA support and got support from ISSD and USADF (Integrated seed sector development and United States Africa Development Fund) respectively. Support is in form of machinery, crop finance, transport, storage etc.